Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Rally 'round the Roast!


Let's talk about meat advertising! In recent years, it might not be that popular to be a meat lover, but there are still many of us out there. It's about hamburgers for me. I grew up eating hamburgers and steak every Sunday. I love a juicy burger and a grilled steak. We've been told that "Beef is what's for dinner," and I agree. We used to "Rally 'round the Roast," and "Wish we were an Oscar Mayer Wiener." Then we asked "Where's the beef?" Now we eat the "Other White Meat." and order the double cheese burger with bacon. Times have changed but meat is still a popular dish. I can be grossed out just as easy as the next person, but I just can't seem to give up meat, and frankly I don't want to. I think it's kind of funny how we totally remove ourselves from thinking that what we are eating was once alive. It comes in a nice sealed package or wrapped in white paper and it's cut round or square, not shaped like an animal at all. It's an advertisers job to make us forget it had anything thing to do with dead animals.

In late, wearing things made out of meat has become popular too. I guess we can thank Lady Gaga  for that. Would we have ever seen the meat wig above if not for her. Meat has been around for a long time, and I still get excited about it like the picture of the little girl and her ham dinner. I love to make my sandwiches with Hellshire Farms, and I'll join them cheering, "Go Meat!"  It's all pretty strange and quite humorous when you really think about it. So, what's the next great meat slogan? "Got meat?" "Meat Happens" "It's Meat bro"  No. We need some 80's nostalgia for all the gen-Xers. How 'bout "We got the meat, we got the meat, we got the meat, yeah! We got the meat!"  or "Meat it! just meat it."  or maybe, "Meat dreams are made of this."  Oh well, something like that anyway. For now, let's just keep the grill hot and the meat cooking, cause I'm not on the protein diet, I just like me some meat. (Get your mind out of the gutter, you know what I mean.)

No comments:

Post a Comment