Thursday, April 19, 2012

On-line ads, do they really work?

On-line ads, do they really work? I'm talking about banner ads and side ads and those ads you're forced to watch before the video you want to see comes on. How many of us completely ignore them? Or maybe were so uninterested that we've never even noticed them.  Most likely they are tailored to us, based on past things we've searched or clicked on, but do we care?  Unless it's really entertaining, or there's something we're looking for, or something we need in the next day, hour, or minute we seem unlikely to notice these ads or even think of clicking on them.

Now, I'm not talking about the advertisers and companies we search out for a good deal or a discount, I'm talking about the ones that seek us out. They creep on us, always hanging out on the sidelines, flashing us. They just seem pretty useless to me. I don't think I've ever clicked on one. Well, I might have clicked by mistake and then got stuck waiting for it to be over.

So, what do we do, advertising and marketing people? We find a better way. How? Well, I'm kind of new at this so, I don't have all the answers...but, here's a suggestion...First, make them entertaining, or find a way to weave your brand and product into the entertainment.  Make me stop and look. Make something eye-catching, make something stellar. I don't want to see your logo spinning around in a circle unless it say's something short and cool. I don't want to see a pretty picture of your credit card or your spokes person. Give me something fun to look at, or strange or interesting. Better yet, just tweet it to me in the form of some useful information with how you/ your product or service can make my life better.  Social media has changed the way we get information. We need to change the way we advertise.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you followed me on twitter tonight and i followed your twitter page to this blog :) then i read this article as it pertains to me, i'm huge into internet marketing.. my passion is in real advertising.. great ideas can change the world kinda advertising.. but the money is hella good if you know what your doing with online marketing. You hit the nail on the head lady.. we gotta make out banner creatives very very interesting... forcing the click.. its damn hard now adays.. over saturated internet and jaded users.. i dig your stuff and just wanted to say thanks for the read.. us bloggers get no love.. thanks for the follow!

    Michael Arbach

    ReplyDelete